Monday, July 28, 2008

Sleep training

After our fantastic weekend out and about for Liz and Justin's wedding, we learned the power of sleep training and just how fragile it is. We had loads of family take turns babysitting and loving on Andrew for us, which made the weekend marvelous. Thanks to everyone for helping!

However, this extra lovin' and attention confused Andrew to no end. Now, he wants to sleep when it's time to eat, he wants to SCREAM when it's time to sleep... it's nuts. I feel so bad for him. As a mom, I feel like anytime he's upset I should be able to fix it. When I can't (especially when I think it's my fault), I feel terrible. So I spent a lot of time last week, calling Chris, so he could distract me from the crying. Chris just kept reminding me (and I'm sure he will the next time this happens), "There's nothing wrong with him. Just give him a few minutes, and he'll be asleep". When Andrew is crying, ten minutes feels like an eternity. I'm sure every mom has felt this way.

After 4 days of SCREAMING, I got him back on his routine and falling to sleep like the angel he is. Then, we decided to bring him to a dinner party. He was a perfect gentleman at the party... Then, it was bed time. After an hour of screaming, he was worn out and fell asleep. He was face down and still in full tantrum pose.

The upside to having the super-struggle going to sleep... He was so tired by the time he fell asleep at 9:30 pm- he's still asleep now. Yep, it's 8:45 am. He woke up at 5:30 am, ate, and fell right back to sleep. I guess that's why I get to catch up on the blog.

Here are some random recent shots...

We've added the "Excer-Saucer" to our list of "Ways to Keep Andrew from Rolling under Furniture". He digs it big time.
He does get overwhelmed trying to choose which part of the toy to play with.


Later I'll add some pics and quick hits from Martha's birthday party.

~Anne

3 comments:

Jill said...

Poor little guy! On a different note, I'm in love with his big, blue eyes!

missy said...

Grayson had the same excersaucer....he was SO scared of the big blue elephant, we had to take it off. You'll have to go back to the beginning of my blog and read the story of Kev putting it together....Hilarious!
Hang in there, Mamma, with the sleep thing! It DOES get better and you'll look back and laugh b/c you won't REALLY remember how bad it was. And remember, sometimes little boys just want to cry and scream....as long as he's fed, dry, and unhurt, you've done everything you could. Don't beat yourself up...You're a great mommy! I'm always here to talk!

breannesp said...

I DEMAND MORE PHOTOS OF BABIES IN HATS! MORE ADORABLENESS NOOOOOOW!