Friday, April 17, 2009

Mommy Tips and Tricks

Since I have so many friends who are expecting or recently have had sweet babies, I thought I would share my new found wisdom. (Much of this wisdom was passed down to me by my sister Martha and my Mom. Thanks!) I know that every mom, dad, and baby are different, but I know I am always willing to listen to what has worked for other families.
Here are some tips and tricks that have worked for us!

1. Vibrators: I knew I'd get your attention starting out with that one. I'm all about shock value, but you need to get your head out of the gutter and think babies. According to the dictionary, a vibrator is any machine that causes a vibrating motion. A lot of baby products have this soothing massage capability. My mother, the genius, figured a way to have this technology all the time. She gave us a back massager that looks like a bug. This little miracle worker turns your boppy, a pillow, the couch, the bassinet, or anything else into a soothing baby massager. It works like a charm. You can tuck it into your diaper bag, and you can have a calm baby anywhere you go.

2. Burp Cloths: My advice is to keep it simple. I have about 40 burp cloths. About 10 of them are cute, and the rest are plain white cloth diapers. I have a basket tucked in the end table in the living room, so they are out of sight but ready to use. I recommend going for the cloth diapers because they are inexpensive and bleachable. Trust me, there were days I did laundry just to have clean burp cloths. Babies spit up a lot.

3. Storage: For the most part, Chris and I added a lot of baskets to our house; however, most of them remain out of sight.
-End tables: We have a basket tucked in each end table. One has Andrew's burp cloths, and the other has toys and books that he can easily access.
-Coffee Table: This basket holds baby memory stuff, so it's right there when I have a spare minute (ha!) to add to it... baby book, scrap book, photo albums, journal, etc.
-Andrew's Dresser: This basket holds all sorts of random things, but it's super cute.
-Changing table: This basket has spare toys and rattles that have saved us in diaper changing tantrums.
-Bathroom: Andrew's bathroom has several baskets: one for tooth care, bath care, and bath toys.

4. Flannel pads: I had never heard of these, but luckily my mom had. They block liquids from getting to cloths, furniture, or anywhere you don't want.
5. Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask for help. Anyone and everyone wants to hold your baby. You need a nap, so ask someone. They all can't wait for a chance to babysit, so you can sleep or wash your hair or go to Target.
6. Don't be afraid or embarrassed to tell people you are ready for some quiet family time. Having a baby is exciting and exhausting. People are really excited, and sometimes they forget that your hormones are raging, you are going on no sleep, and you may not want company. It's OK.
7. Talk to your husband. He wants to help, and he wants you and the baby to be happy. He will be the bad guy if you need him to be. He can also change a diaper, give a bottle, or rock a baby... even if he never has.

8. Baby 411: I linked to the website, but I have actually used the book much more. It's a very parent-friendly "how to" guide for having a baby. It uses words like poop, and it explains important ideas like the color of poop and what each color may mean about your baby. The book tackles tons of topics like sleep training (an overview of several major philosophies), introducing foods, nursing, etc. we have used this book countless times, and it stays in the living for easy access!

Yay to babies, mommies, and daddies. I know every family is different, but I thought I would share what has worked for us.

:)
Anne

1 comment:

The Longley's said...

I LOVE your advice. Donny and I got Baby 411 before Coleman was born and I live by it! I even buy it as baby gifts for my friends who are having babies. Great idea about the vibrator too - I'm headed to walmart and am adding it to my list! Thanks Ann!