Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Anniversary

Three years ago today, we lost my Daddy. Three years ago, I lost my Daddy. I still can't believe it sometimes. The anniversary feels a little different to each of us and has felt a little different from year to year. With each new baby milestone and the Easter holiday around the corner, I have been thinking a lot about Daddy. (The picture above is Daddy and Mom walking down the aisle at our wedding in 2003.)

For Chris and I, this represents our first (of many) Easter egg hunts. It will be the first time we hide eggs in plain sight and watch with gleeful anticipation as our newly walking Andrew toddles around to "find" them. I'm sure the day will be so much fun, but it will be a little sad having all Andrew's grandparents there except one.

Growing up, Easter egg hiding and finding at the Gesino house was a science, so I am ready to start the tradition at the Shacklett house. Though I'm sure on Sunday will have many happy memories, I know I will be a little sad, too.

So, with Andrew's first Easter egg hunt on the horizon, I want to remember Daddy for a minute or two. For all who knew him, Daddy was a great big kid. He filled his desk with toys and candy. He readily issued "Dad" jokes while biting his lip to hold back a huge grin showing how proud he was of his latest jewel.

Around this time each year, that playful streak came out in full force and brought out the equally playful side of Mom. (Of course, I had no idea of these playful Easter Eves until recently.)

In my mom's words, "Each year, hiding the eggs with your father was more fun than Christmas Eve." I can picture the two of them giggling their way through our house while we slept upstairs waiting for a visit from the Easter Bunny. Each year, they became craftier and craftier trying to fool the four of us with the egg hiding spots. Easter morning arrived, and we woke up with Easter baskets at our doors brimming with treats left by that oh-so thoughtful Bunny. With baskets in hand, we'd rush down stairs to show off the goodies to our super sneaky and sleepy parents, Mom with her coffee and Daddy with his Dr. Pepper. (It didn't click until we were older as to why they were so sleepy on Easter morning...)

Then, the hunt began. To some parents, the act of watching your children tear apart your house cushion by cushion sounds terrifying. My parents encouraged it, and apparently, they loved every minute. In my estimation, the entire hunt lasted only a fraction of the time it to took to plan the night before, but to them it was always worth it. They tried so desperately to fool us, and each year they actually hid one so well they couldn't find it. I guess the smell eventually led them to that last, elusive egg.

For many happy Easter's past and many more in the future, here are some of my Gesino Family Easter favorites:

1. After hunting for eggs, we would dump all the candy into our baskets and compare. I loved that my parents put all different colored jellybeans into the eggs and our basket... Knowing the whole time, we were going to pick out all the black ones to give to Mom. (I guess it would have been suspicious if the Easter Bunny left one big egg full of black jellybeans for Mom.)

2.As big kids (in our 20s), my parents loaded eggs with change and even some folding money. We tore through the house like there were hundreds in each egg. Seriously, our parents should have declared the house a disaster area and moved. It would have been easier than putting the house back together, but it was mad fun! (Do I dare try this with Andrew and his future brother or sister?)

3. One year, when I was way too old to still believe in the Easter Bunny, Scott and I left out carrots for him. (We thought it supremely unjust that Santa gets cookies, and the Easter Bunny gets... rabbit food?) On Easter morning, we bypassed our overloaded baskets, to check on the carrots... Sure enough, the Easter Bunny had stopped to nibble the ends. See! He really is real!
I'm sure there are so many more, but those are the three things that come to mind this time every year. Mom and Dad were a great couple and made excellent parents. Hopefully, Chris and I can carry on the tradition.

I love you, Mom. For those who haven't seen Mom's playful side, check out the video below.


And, finally, here is a blast from the not-so-distant past... Andrew's first Easter!


:)
Anne

No comments: