Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sleep

Here's something super obvious: new parents are sleep deprived. Even people without kids will tell you that having a newborn means getting very little sleep or sometimes none at all. How come the most important and challenging job of your life (parenting) begins with mind-numbing exhaustion? It makes no sense. As you can see here, Chris, Andrew, Lady, and I look less than well-rested.




Yikes.
They send you home from the hospital completely clueless, scared out of your mind, and, by the way, you won't sleep soundly until Andrew begins "sleeping through the night". I chose to put this phrase in quotes because, according to all the baby sources out there, "sleeping through the night" happens when the baby sleeps 5 hours in a row. So long sleeping till noon.

Here's my question: How did we party until 3, 4, 5 am, and then wake up the next day to do it all again? How come party tired and baby tired are not even close to the same thing?

Here's a great idea: I haven't slept for more than an hour straight in weeks, so I think I am a great candidate to take care of a newborn who depends on me for everything.


Well, thanks to lots of prayer, a fabulous babysitter, and a little classical music, Andrew sleeps both "through the night" and through the night. I never thought 5 hours of sleep in a row would ever feel so good.

Thank God for naps.
~Anne

No comments: