Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Battle in Bethlehem

Last week Andrew and I spent a quiet morning decorating while Caroline napped. The tree, the mantle, and the nativities looked perfect. We have one grown-up nativity in the kitchen, and Andrew has a sweet little one for his room. Once the decorations were in place, Caroline woke for her lunch feeding. Andrew dismissed himself to his room for my nursing, for which I was truly grateful.

Caroline and I were enjoying our peaceful moments together when I heard the clinging of toys. Strange, I thought, which of Andrew's toys cling? Hmph. Oh, no.

"Andrew, what are you doing?" I asked as I finished the last minute or two of the feeding.

"Nuffin'. Just playing," he replied ever so sweetly. Uh-oh.

I closed up shop and headed into Andrew's room. As I entered, I saw baby Jesus, the shepherd, and the flock sitting peacefully on the table. Andrew still had Mary in his hand. This left Joseph, now headless, on the floor alone.

"Oh, Andrew! How could you? What were you thinking?..." I berated for a minute and then fell silent.

Sheepishly, Andrew gestured to Mary and Joseph and said, "They were fighting... Mary won."

Apparently, she did. Bring on the super glue.

Merry Christmas.
:)
Anne

No comments: