Friday, September 19, 2008

Whole other level of loogie


I don't think that loogie is a real word, but no other word packs a punch like it. It's not just spit. It's a loogie. According to dictionary.reference.com, a "loogie is a large wad of spit or phlegm". That definition doesn't even come close to evoking the image that I need to convey... Here's how it all went down, so prepare yourself. this story is not for the faint of heart.

Andrew, Chris and I have battled this cold/cough/sore throat monster for two weeks. Chris and I can take drugs to help us cough when we want and stop when want. Poor Andrew must tough it out. For an infant, "working it out" comes at any time, day or night. Bless his poor sweet heart. And bless ours, too. In the beginning, he slept through the coughing spells and the coughing just kept us up. No worries. It's a small price to pay, so that your kiddo will feel better. Then, the cough became a little more rattly and started to wake him up.


So, the nurse instructs us to bring Andrew into the shower with us, so he can "work it out". He started coughing and I could tell it was working. Yay! Then it really started working. And then, all hell broke loose. (Literally, it must have broken loose from somewhere in the deep dark depths of Andrew.) After breaking loose, it found the only target available.... good ole mom. Yay, loogies! It was projectile from the nose and mouth. Thankfully, after many mornings of spit up, poop, pee, and vomit, I know better than to wear work clothes any where near my beautiful baby boy. I handily passed the now chipper young man off to my freshly showered husband, and I took my second shower for the morning.

After all this, I know that I am officially a mom. How do I know this? I didn't realize how gross the whole thing was (loogies on me, in my bra, on the rug, etc.) until well after the fact. The only thing I kept thinking was "Yay, it's finally out of his system. Now he can feel better."


The things we do in the name of mommy-dom...


:)
Anne

No comments: